Friday, December 05, 2008

And you want a bailout?

We all know by now that American auto companies are looking for money. I keep hearing people say that they make a good car but they're just having a tough time competing. One of the problems they have is the reputation of an American car. They say that while it may have been true that decades ago the quality was inferior to the foreign cars, today it simply isn't.

Well, in my own experience, that's not been true.

My first car was a little green Ford Ranger. I really liked it because it had a matching camper top and had this boxy look that I thought was cool. It was only a few years old when I bought it and it ran great for the first year and a half. Then I started to have problems. It'd have to be in the shop every other month and it was always, "we're going to have to order some parts."

At this same time, my parents had a Ford van that was also seemed like it was always in for something. Like the truck, when it ran, it was great. Problem is, I want it to run all the time, not just when it wants to.

Next car was a Toyota Tercel, no problems what so ever. That was a great car and if it were a little more manly, I'd probably still have it today.

Next car was a Toyota Tacoma. Another great vehicle. It only had one big problem that happened after I'd racked up over 100,000 miles on it.

I drive a Mazda now, which is another great car. It's only had one problem in the few years that we've had it. The reason I drive it is because it's my wife's old car and she now drives a Dodge Caravan. We got this thing because the commercial made it look awesome and it does have a lot of bells and whistles but it was also in the shop several 5 or 6 times in the first 6 months.

Recently we had to have an entire mirror replaced because a little light cap fell off. One whole mirror? Actually it was both mirrors, because the other cap was loose. You'd think they could just get the caps.

I know that many people love their Made in Americas, but for me, they've been problems. So, if this is what the American companies think is quality, then I would hate to have been around when they sucked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home